- Simultaneous release in both English and Māori to coincide with Matariki
- Excellent educational resource and an entertaining read for 8-12 year-olds
- Examines environment and history through a modern storyline
- Beautiful edition with full colour illustrations
- First in innovative series from Sharing Our Stories venture
Tui and his cousin Jennifer are much too busy playing a video game to want to visit Maungakiekie/One Tree Hill. But then Nanny Marei tells them the mountain’s got giants and fortresses, just like their game!
Explore Maungakiekie with Tui and Jennifer as they travel back into its history – meeting the Goddess of Fire, Māori tribes, Chinese gardeners, Sir John Logan Campbell, and the tourists of today.
Malcolm Paterson belongs to Ngāti Whātua of Tāmaki and the Kaipara, and represents his iwi in heritage and environmental issues. He is a qualified medical doctor and holds an M.Sc. in environmental management. He has contributed to various publications; The Castle in our Backyard is his first book.
Leah Mulgrew grew up in Karekare and studied painting at the Elam School of Fine Arts, University of Auckland. After graduating in 2003 with a B.FA., she has lived and exhibited in the United Kingdom and New Zealand.
- Promotion through iwi radio, community newspapers, schools, kura and children’s literature networks
- Giveaway of framed artwork to lucky reader
- Malcolm Paterson is available for interviews on 021 2533930, email@example.com